30 Days of praise: All alone? Never alone.
30 Days of praise: All alone? Never alone.
This is a challenge presented to us that consists of us searching for characteristics of God that we can be thankful for. Often we neglect the vast majority of who God is because we limit Him to being Love or being Patient or Forgiving, but if we think deeper we can see so many aspects of Him that we can be thankful for. So for this post i'll be looking at Psalm 16 and digging into it searching for aspects of God that I may have forgotten or not have considered.
Well there are a number of aspects that I want to highlight.
1) " I have no good apart from you" Wait what? This is david saying that nothing he has, is good unless its of God. David was a king and had nearly everything, yet he still said that God is the ultimate expression of Goodness. We should realize that nothing we do is good unless God is in it. Even our best works are as filthy rags to God. This is both a humbling thought and an encouragement to seek God, as He is Goodness.
2) God is our portion. How cool is this that God is our everything and all we need. Nothing else will satisfy us. Makes sense why so many people still seek satisfaction from so many other sources.
3) If we set the Lord always before us, we will not be shaken. Its a beautiful picture of keeping our eyes set on Jesus because then we wont see all the other things that will try and distract us or make us feel shaken. We will know that we are chosen and nothing will be able to change that.
Even though there is so much I can unpack in this Psalm alone, I want to encourage you that God is good and that if we seek Him with everything, He won't leave us or let us be shaken.
We are never alone.
This is a challenge presented to us that consists of us searching for characteristics of God that we can be thankful for. Often we neglect the vast majority of who God is because we limit Him to being Love or being Patient or Forgiving, but if we think deeper we can see so many aspects of Him that we can be thankful for. So for this post i'll be looking at Psalm 16 and digging into it searching for aspects of God that I may have forgotten or not have considered.
Psalm 16English Standard Version (ESV)
You Will Not Abandon My Soul
16 Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
2 I say to the Lord, “You are my Lord;
I have no good apart from you.”
3 As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones,
in whom is all my delight.
in whom is all my delight.
4 The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply;
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.
their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out
or take their names on my lips.
5 The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
you hold my lot.
6 The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
7 I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
in the night also my heart instructs me.
8 I have set the Lord always before me;
because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices;
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.
my flesh also dwells secure.
10 For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol,
or let your holy one see corruption.
11 You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
in your presence there is fullness of joy;
at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
1) " I have no good apart from you" Wait what? This is david saying that nothing he has, is good unless its of God. David was a king and had nearly everything, yet he still said that God is the ultimate expression of Goodness. We should realize that nothing we do is good unless God is in it. Even our best works are as filthy rags to God. This is both a humbling thought and an encouragement to seek God, as He is Goodness.
2) God is our portion. How cool is this that God is our everything and all we need. Nothing else will satisfy us. Makes sense why so many people still seek satisfaction from so many other sources.
3) If we set the Lord always before us, we will not be shaken. Its a beautiful picture of keeping our eyes set on Jesus because then we wont see all the other things that will try and distract us or make us feel shaken. We will know that we are chosen and nothing will be able to change that.
Even though there is so much I can unpack in this Psalm alone, I want to encourage you that God is good and that if we seek Him with everything, He won't leave us or let us be shaken.
We are never alone.
Good stuff!!
ReplyDelete